Create a spectacular scene-setter for the final game, which will capture the spirit and energy of the tournament while presenting South Africa to a global audience in a positive light.
- Paid tribute to the participants using first-of-a-kind technology
- Cast of 1 500 performers
- Projected onto a 10m diameter helium-filled sphere suspended above the middle of the field
- Sphere represented the world, a football and the universal spirit of the game and carried the central messaging
- Projected moving images (games) inside other moving images (world)
- At the end of the ceremony the sphere floated slowly out of the stadium symbolically taking the tournament to Brazil
- Ten 2m diameter internally-lit helium-filled ‘balls’ with country flags on the outside added interest and drama
The closing ceremony was a huge hit: local and global audiences, including the press, loved it!